The new qDiscussionView Free WebPart is now available

The new qDiscussionView Free WebPart is now available

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 33 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

What needs to go in the viewed lists textbox, i tried putting just the name of our discussion board, but I get the error The following error occurs: Data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 1.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

I get an error when I add the web part to a page. I suspect this web part requires a certain version of .net and/or Ajax. Thoughts?

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingScriptResourceHandlerSection' to type 'System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingScriptResourceHandlerSection'.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.
      Stack Trace:

[InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingScriptResourceHandlerSection' to type 'System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingScriptResourceHandlerSection'.] System.Web.Configuration.ApplicationSettings.EnsureSectionLoaded() +73 System.Web.Handlers.ScriptResourceHandler.IsCompressionEnabled(HttpContext context) +10 System.Web.Handlers.RuntimeScriptResourceHandler.System.Web.Handlers.IScriptResourceHandler.GetScriptResourceUrl(Assembly assembly, String resourceName, CultureInfo culture, Boolean zip, Boolean notifyScriptLoaded) +24 System.Web.Handlers.ScriptResourceHandler.GetScriptResourceUrl(Assembly assembly, String resourceName, CultureInfo culture, Boolean zip, Boolean notifyScriptLoaded) +49 System.Web.UI.ScriptReference.GetUrlFromName(ScriptManager scriptManager, IControl scriptManagerControl, Boolean zip) +163 System.Web.UI.ScriptReference.GetUrl(ScriptManager scriptManager, IControl scriptManagerControl, Boolean zip) +189 System.Web.UI.ScriptManager.RegisterScripts() +506 System.Web.UI.ScriptManager.OnPagePreRenderComplete(Object sender, EventArgs e) +107 System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0 System.Web.UI.Page.OnPreRenderComplete(EventArgs e) +8698462 System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1029

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3082; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3082

Server Error in '/' Application. Unable to cast object of type 'System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingScriptResourceHandlerSection' to type 'System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingScriptResourceHandlerSection'.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

I had this problem too as couldn't find any instructions with the download for configuring the webpart.
      I found the instructions via the help button on the wepart itself which made it clear HOWEVER….
      The instructions relate to an EDIT Button on all the display options, for example an Edit button will drop down a list of all lists to pick from, all columns too etc
      But I don't have an edit Button on mine, hence why I am unable to configure it and hence why it wasn't obvious how to do so.
      Any Ideas why I am missing this from the webpart ? (It appeared to install OK, am using SP 2007)
      Thanks! Julie

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

We do require the 2.0 .Net Framework, but this may also be a problem with your web.config configuration. We try to keep it as simple as possible, but you may have to make some modifications. If you open up your web.config file if there are any messages shown at the top simply click Fix All and that may resolve this issue

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Julie;
      Thanks for the feedback, good point on the initial config, we will see if we can improve that.
      The ezEdit selection will only show up if you have full control on the site so you can make modifications, so for example you probably don't have "Modify Shared Properties" option either.
      Hopefully that is the issue, if not let us know!

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Bit more technical reply for tourpe
      Quest web parts have dependencies on Microsoft Ajax library because 3rd party library Telerik does. It requires Microsoft Ajax library version 1.0.61025.0 and the following entry to be added to the web.config <httpHandlers> section.
      <add verb="GET,HEAD" path="ScriptResource.axd" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptResourceHandler, System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" validate="false" />
      This requires customers to install Microsoft Ajax library (select Microsoft Ajax -> Download Essential Components -> ASP.NET AJAX Extensions 1.0). Note that AJAX functionality is integrated in ASP.NET 3.5 SP1 and does not require any additional downloads but this version won't work with Telerik controls.
      Start from version 5.0 of Quest web parts, we will automatically incluce Microsoft AJAX library and will not require customers to download and install it separately.
      When ASP.NET AJAX Library 1.0 is not installed, user may not be able to add Quest Web Parts and see error messages such as the following.
      When Quest Web Parts are installed on SharePoint server that has ASP.NET AJAX Library 3.5 installed or part of the operating system, the following error message may appear:
      Unable to cast object of type 'System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingScriptResourceHandlerSection' to type 'System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingScriptResourceHandlerSection'.
      You may find discussion threads on this such as ASP.NET Forums.
      For a particular insance of this error, where customer has .NET 3.5 and Sitrion server along with SharePoint server, the web.config has all ASP.NET 3.5 settings with Quest web parts added Ajax 1.0 settings, this error is fixed by adding the following entry to the end of <runtime> element or swap the "oldVersion" and "newVersion".
      <runtime>
      <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
      <dependentAssembly>
      <assemblyIdentity name="System.Web.Extensions" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35"/>
      <bindingRedirect oldVersion="3.5.0.0" newVersion="1.0.61025.0"/>
      </dependentAssembly>
      </assemblyBinding>
      </runtime>

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

[quote user="dkoepke"] What needs to go in the viewed lists textbox, i tried putting just the name of our discussion board, but I get the error The following error occurs: Data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 1.
      [/quote]
      When all is said and done, you'll end up with XML in that text box. Like so:

See Attached

You could type the XML in there, but it's easiest to use the Edit button (circled in Red).
      This should give you a list of lists to choose from. Note: only discussion type currently supported. You could even in bring in data from another SharePoint site, or combine data from multiple sites.
      I hope this helps.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Doug,
      Thanks for the reply. I tested this web part on a home stand alone test sp2007 server where I am ultimate owner so I don't think it's a permissions problem!

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Julie,
      The edit button for selecting lists, columns, etc is what I circled in red in the previous post.
      To get to this interface, you'll need to choose ezEdit from the web part menu. Open the menu by clicking the little triangle (circled).

See Attached

If you can't see the triangle, go to Site Actions -> Edit Page and click Edit for the web part.
      Just for reference, the appearance of this triangle is dependent on the Chrome Type whose default is set by the web part zone. You can usually override this in individual web parts by choosing the Chrome Type "Title Only" in the Appearance section.
      Clear as mud? 🙂

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Thanks Doug. Adding the assemblyBinding did fix my error message (our servers do run .Net 3.5)

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Any way we can avoid this wide gap between the threads and the preview?

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Any plan to integrate with OCS so we keep the presence awareness jelly beans next to the names?

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hia,

I think you mis-interpreted my post. I am fully able to get to the configuration screen of the webpart (I am an experienced SP user!!).
      The problem lies (and for another user I think) is that on my configuration screen none of the edit buttons appear for some reason.
      When I get to the 'choose list' and 'choose display fields' options, all I have is a text box …. no drop down selection of site lists. This initially suggested I had to type the url in manually but this didn't work.
      When I eventually found your help files and saw your config screen I realised I was missing the edit buttons which enables auto selection of lists and fields etc…… no tick boxes for me 😉
      I'll try and re-install it on my test server, maybe something went wrong when it when it got deployed. It's not urgent for now, just something that I can see massively improves the rubbish forum offering out of the box lol

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Above was meant for Tim, sorry

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

[quote user="Doug Davis"]In conjunction with the Quest List Form (which is part of the Quest Web Parts for SharePoint product), you may use complex category. Complex category is a feature that enables you to use multiple categories (Category A, Category B) ,multi-level categories (Category 1\Category 1.1) or the combination of both. [/quote]

I'm very interested in how this would work. can you provide some instruction or examples?

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

I think I will make a specific entry for this but here is the basics, reading it I understand it a bit more complex then it should be, so I will flesh it out.

Complex Category was mainly aimed at customers who were converting from Notes discussion to SharePoint. People who used notes discussion may find the similarity but its useful elsewhere of course.

First, you need to create the Complex Category List. There are three ways to create it: using Indexer tool from ezEdit (this can be used for massive or large number of lists converting from Notes); using web part context menu “Create Complex Category List” (see screenshot); or after you installed QWP4SP, the “Complex Category List” custom list is there for you, you can click to Create a List off it and follow the naming convention (List Name + “Complex Categories”).

Add a new column to the list called Category <<<this is important

See Attached

See Attached

The list is now set up and ready for use.

Second, you need to use qListForm to create discussion and create one or many complex categories. Just configure qListForm to the proper mode (NewItemList) and connect to the List and Complex Category List.

Configure the “DisplayFields” property and make sure you include “Category” field (you discussion list should have the field, if not, add a single line of text field for it). Edit this field in qListForm DisplayField editor and select “Complex Category” for the field type

Notice that the bottom portion allows you to create/edit/add category. You can create new discussion item with multiple category or multi-level category. When you save, the category is saved to the “Complex Category Index List” and the original List.

I will flesh this out in a larger post to launch a discussion around configurating qDiscussionView

Additional Attachments:

n

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Doug,
      Thanks for a great qDiscussionListView webpart ! We were impressed with the video of the webpart and want to use it.
      After installing however , we are unable to see it in the list of web parts. Does it need to be somehow "activated" before it appears in the list of webparts ?
      Best,
      Kris

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Sounds like the install failed at some point. Can you verify the following? Let me know if you need more info

1. Check if “QuestSharedWebParts.wsp” exists in Central Admin -> Operation -> Solution Management list
      2. Check if this solution package is deployed successfully into the specified web application
      3. Check if the feature scoped at “Web” – the root web site administration Site Feature has “Quest Shared Web Parts for SharePoint” and is activated, if not, activate it.
      Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

not at the moment but we will put this into our feature queue. Mainly we have to deal with the fact that the webpart allotted space has to be maintained, so if there is nothing there that will be a blank. I'm sure there is a way around this and we will see what we can do.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Doug,
      Thanks for the instructions. I now have copmlex categories availble when creating new discussions.
      Will the Quest Discussion View Web Part show complex categories grouped in its view? It seems to show only responses grouped.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

If you edit the category display field itself as per below
      See Attached

You will see some grouping options towards the bottow:
      See Attached

This will group your discussions by category

Additional Attachments:

n

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

James,
      I'm the Dev Manager of this product. The error that you mentioned does not sound familiar to me. Can you log this issue to our support group and therefore, we can provide you with a better support? We may have to do a WebEx session to troubleshoot this. But in order to do so, I have to have the support ticket in hand. Please go to http://support.quest.com to open a support ticket.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Doug,
      I gave that a try but I get this Casting error.
      The following error occurs: Specified cast is not valid.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

See the downloads here, with some instructions on use 32-bit and 64-bit

The highlights of the qDiscussionListView features are:

1. It can be configured easily using the Web Parts Configurator. Just select Web Part Menu > Configure to launch the Web Parts Configurator. The only property that you have to configure to get started is the Viewed Lists property.

2. You can view multiple discussion lists at once by specifying them in the Viewed Lists property. The lists that you view can reside in another site, another site collection or even another web application as long as they are in the same configuration database.

3. It displays the discussions and their responses in a tree structure, making it much easier to find the relevant topic

4. A preview panel to view the content of the selected discussion or response quickly.

5. The ability to select which field to be displayed in the tree view panel by using the Display Fields property. If not defined, only the Subject field will be displayed.

6. The ability to filter the top level discussions by using CAML Filter expression.

7. Allows you to customize the look and feel by using Skins.

8. The capability to define the initial static sort expression using the Sort Fields property. The Discussion View can sort the data based on multiple fields. This makes the initial default view for end users potentially more informative.

9. The ability to turn off the individual buttons in the toolbar, providing maximum flexibility.

10. A context menu to access the most common functions for data items, such as Reply, Alert Me, Delete Item, etc. If enabled, you can access the context menu by right-clicking the entry in the discussion view. The Web Part author can turn off the context menu by setting the Enable Context Menu property to False.

11. The ability to group the discussions by a specific field. For example, if your discussion list contains a Category field, you can group the discussions based on that field. This greatly enhances usability.

12. In conjunction with the Quest List Form (which is part of the Quest Web Parts for SharePoint product), you may use complex category. Complex category is a feature that enables you to use multiple categories (Category A, Category B) ,multi-level categories (Category 1\Category 1.1) or the combination of both.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Julie, I'm the Development Manager of this Web Part. It's unfortunate that you encountered the issue that you did. We would like you to have a succesful experience with this web part. Are you willing to troubleshoot your issue over WebEx to see whether we can help you out? If you do, we need a way to communicate outside this forum. Please let me know your email address.
      Eddy Ng

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

hi Doug,
      If i have installed ASP.NET AJAX Library 3.5 and want to remain this version as i have another application is using ajax library 3.5. How to get rid of the following error?
      Unable to cast object of type 'System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingScriptResourceHandlerSection' to type 'System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingScriptResourceHandlerSection'.
      Thanks!
      Sk

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi,
      I'm encountering the same problem and can't seem to get it to work – have you found an answer to this?
      thank you,

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

test

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Doug,
      I also got the same error, when i try for group. Please let me know if any solution for this.
      The following error occurs: Specified cast is not valid.
      Dev.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Doug,
      I am getting the following error when i try for group.
      "The following error occurs: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: key"
      Please let me know if any solution for this issue.
      Dev.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Doug,
      If i choose more than one filed then its working fine.
      Thanks.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

First
      After downloading we are not able to extract the things
      2nd
      Do you have some video / pdf on this one with some screen dumps of this web part?
      Thanks

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Localization / translation – some more details?
      Is there any more info available regarding localization of qDiscussionView than what's offered by the help-files that are included in the .msi-package? There's talk about a "Resource List" and scetches of an xml-format, but whatever I try I end up with random errors. A fuller example of what such a Resource List looks like (format, file system placement if applicable) and how to hook into it would be greatly appreciated.
      Regards,
      Lars

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

test

Viewing 33 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.