Today, the market is swamped with numerous document management systems, but what makes SharePoint the choice of over 200 million users worldwide is its accessibility and flexibility. It enables users to store, manage, and view the data in accordance with their specific requirements using a wide range of out-of-the-box (OOTB) web parts. SharePoint web parts enable organizations to unleash the true power of enterprise data. With proper implementation of web parts, users can create applications and customizations to simplify data analytics and visualization, thereby extending the OOTB functionalities of SharePoint.
What is a SharePoint web part?
SharePoint web parts are the basic building blocks that enable organizations to give a modern look to an ordinary SharePoint page. One can define a web part as a self-contained application used to showcase the content stored in a SharePoint site in an easy to comprehend manner. SharePoint web parts can also be defined as widgets that enable users to customize the user interface (UI) and make it easier to edit the content of a SharePoint site page.
According to Microsoft, “a Web Part is a Microsoft ASP.NET server control that serves a particular purpose, such as displaying data from a spreadsheet or streaming stock quotations from an online Web service.”
Benefits of SharePoint Web Parts
SharePoint web parts are the reusable components that can be added to multiple pages of a SharePoint site replicating the same functionality. Users can add text, images, files, videos, dynamic content, and more to their SharePoint site using certain web parts. Web parts facilitate organizations to break down data silos, enabling them to make better decisions, serve better customer experiences, accelerate innovation, and respond to crises faster.
Which Web Parts are currently available in SharePoint?
SharePoint comes with a wide range of OOTB web parts that users can leverage to modernize their SharePoint site. However, which web parts are available to you, depends on the license, SharePoint version, and the features activated on your Site Collection. Some of the most commonly used web parts for modern dynamic SharePoint systems are:
- Connectors: Allows users to receive messages, alerts, and notifications from external third-party services such as social channels, project management tools, etc.
- Document Library: Enables users to fetch and view any document from a single platform simply by searching for it using the title, provided that the users have all appropriate permissions required to view the documents from the library.
- File Viewer: Helps users insert different types of files such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio, PDFs, 3D Models, videos, and more on a SharePoint page.
- Group Calendar: Enables users to integrate data related to important dates, events, meetings, etc., in a single calendar and display it right on the SharePoint page so that it is easily visible to your readers.
- List Web Part: Allows users to view crucial data in the form of a list that is customizable according to the needs with your own title, view, and even size.
- Microsoft Forms: Helps users create surveys, quizzes, polls, and collect responses from their page.
- Chart Web Part: Displays SharePoint data in the form of 2D and 3D charts.
All these OOTB web parts offered by Microsoft are easy to customize and allow users to aggregate content across their SharePoint environment seamlessly. Users can get access to more web parts by visiting the official website, or they can purchase licenses to additional web parts from trusted third-party vendors or Microsoft partners.
Extend SharePoint Functionalities beyond OOTB Limitations
However, OOTB SharePoint web parts are created with the masses in mind and cover various basic business scenarios. They are not meant to address the specific customization or application development requirements of organizations. Such business needs can be addressed by adopting third-party SharePoint web parts from an experienced vendor. AgreeYa’s QuickApps is a prime example of such a product.
QuickApps is an award-winning suite of 21 SharePoint web parts that simplifies customization and application development. It is an innovative ‘No-Code’ solution that helps organizations customize and develop applications to automate SharePoint processes. Its simple point-and-click configuration allows business users to transform their SharePoint experience much faster and help maximize their ROI.