Customizing qCaptionDisplay with Replaceable Parameters

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi ,

qCaptionDisplay is a wp to display a message from a central location and it doesn't offer the functionality of the qListForm that allows you to pass a parameter and it finds an item based on that.

If they want to display a message from a list based on XID then they can use a qListform in DisplayItem mode.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi,

I actually posed this question through a support request.  posted it here on my behalf.

My objective is to be able to put a caption on a page and to be able to select the caption at run time.  In my specific case, I have a page on which there is a qListView set up to display a single item from a list – along with all related items from a child list.  I would like to put the Title of the primary item on the page as a caption.  (I will include an image of the page below.)

the qListForm in DisplayItem mode doesn't appear to work on an ordinary page that is not a form.

Thanks,

n

Here is an illustration of what I want.  As indicated in the original post, the URL for the page is something like http://…../MyPage.aspx?XID=5

example.jpg

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi n,

The qCaptionDisplay has no capabilities to change dinamically the CaptionId ((ie using a session, Url parameter, etc). The CaptionId is used to identify the list item and display the corresponding text.

You can try building some custom code (ie js code) that would change that CaptionId dynamically on the page. I've never tried but it may work.

You say "the qListForm in DisplayItem mode doesn't appear to work on an ordinary page that is not a form."

Can you please elaborate? I'm asking this because I have no issues creating a page (web part, wiki, etc) and use qListForm there.

Using a qListForm in DisplayItem mode would do it.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Is there any way to use a replaceable parameter for the CaptionID in a qCaptionDisplay web part? 

For example, using theURL http://…/MyPage.aspx?XID=5, can we reference XID in the Caption ID and have it replaced by “5”?

Thanks!

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Thank you,

I did a little experimenting, and here's what I found.  I could get the qListForm to work on a Web Part Page, but not on a Wiki Page.  On a Wiki Page, nothing displays.  Furthermore, on a Wiki Page, if you subsequently edit and save the page, the qListForm vanishes.

While it's true that the qListForm works on a Web Part Page, it looks like a form and not a caption:

Example1.jpg

Fortunately, this isn't a crisis.  I can make do without it, but it would have been nice.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.