Issue with Quest custom action button

Issue with Quest custom action button

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

If your form opens in a dialog please use CloseDialog custom action.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi ,

We already used CloseDialog and GotoURl, but it is not working still it is redirecting to new form only not closing the form.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

You can't use GoToURL after CloseDialog action since the context is being lost and it won't work.

A common scenario for using this feature is a qListView that displays some data and you want to add/update items in this list using a qListForm in a dialog.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi ,

We have used only CloseDialog action after StartWorkflow action, but it is not closing the form(it is redirecting to new form) once workflow action done.

Please suggest how we can close the form after StartWorkflow action.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Here is what I have done in the past (we have a better method now using custom code but this works). Granted there is a bit of "smoke and mirrors" as the saying goes:

Main Form M

Webpart page W (create it to look appropriate so it fits the look and feel of M): I am going to assume that you have created web part pages before that emulate the default Read/Edit/New forms that you normally have associated with a list. So you are familiar with passing a querystring parameter so that W opens the correct item, etc.

Put a button on M that opens W. W is actually a webpart page with both a Read and an Edit qListForm webpart. The Read one contains enough information to sufficiently identify the item. The Edit one contains no visible edit fields. Really all the user sees of the Edit qListForm is the button bar (turn off the Read qListForm button bar). The Edit qListForm's save button can be re-titled so that it is appropriate; the user doesn't necessarily need to know they are doing another save here.

The key here is two-fold:

1. include a hidden field on W that contains a fixed value. This fixed value is specifically for the action that you want the workflow to take.

2. Create or modify your workflow that fires on change. Add logic that looks for the special value that you set in #1. If that value is present, then your workflow branches off and does the action that you originally wanted. It also resets the value of the hidden field to null or something that won't trigger the action again in case the workflow fires again.

That is a brief overview; let me know if you need more explanation.

– Jim

Message was edited by: Jim Boling (revised to clarify paragraph 2)

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi All,

We have custom action button in new form and added below actions:

• Save the item
      • Start workflow
      • GotoURL — (given list all items link)

But when we click on the button, it is saving the item and workflow is triggering but GotoURL is not working. Instead of redirecting to Allitems view it is redirecting to new form.

Please suggest how we can close the form or redirect to Allitems view after workflow action.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Just a follow-up: we (I and my colleagues where I work) have *always* avoided the manual start workflow action. This is an unwelcome intrusion into your user's activities; in our opinion, it is much better for the workflow initiation to happen behind the scenes. In my solution above, as far as your user is concerned, W functions as a confirmation page, which is a handy addition to most processes anyway.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.