Create New Trainee error (and other feedback on CBT)

Create New Trainee error (and other feedback on CBT)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Ron,

I'll try to answer your questions.

– Configuration Editor is a tool (exe) provided within our installation package that allows you to modify web.config files in a clean way so the QWP can work properly. Once you launch the tool you can access the documentation from the menu Help->Content. This will provide you all the details you need to understand and use this tool. What you need to do is open your web from the toolbar or menu then select the items is red and use the button Fix to fix that. This toll backups your file in case that something goes wrong and you want to restore your site.

– use deployCBT.bat instead. You can launch it with Administrative permissions by selecting the file, make right click and pick "Run as administrator" option

– for the error you get when creating trainees you need to deploy the file Quest.WebParts.CBT.dll to the GAC on each WFE servers you have in your farm (see more details here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dkkx7f79.aspx) or just simply drag and drop file to the folder c:\windows\assemblies

If you still have any issues or questions please let me know and I'll be happy to answer them.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Well, as usual, just after posting I find the answer — at least to the final part of the problem.

Just pay attention to the output of the deployCBT.bat file, and all becomes clear.  I wasn't running the SP 2010 Administration service.  I can create trainees now.

So, although the rest of what I wrote still applies, it's just FYI now.

Cheers,

Ron

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

I’m having trouble getting the CBT to work — first of all, the installation instructions are incorrect in a number of ways — if you follow them start to finish they tell you to use the Quest Configuration Editor when there isn’t any information on how to go about installing it.

The instructions also refer to ‘setupCBT.bat’ — this file doesn’t exist in the QWP_CBT download.  There is however a ‘deployCBT.bat’ file — which just might be the same thing, who knows.  It might be good to point out this has to be run with administrative permissions. 

As for the Quest Configuration Editor, it seems to be installed when running the setup from the Quest_Web-Parts-for-Sharepoint-2010—Full-package-57 (among other things), but I’m not completely sure — the Editor showed up at some point in my exercise and I can’t be 100% positive when that was.

And finally, (and here’s where I’m stumped):  When creating a Trainee in the CBT, I get:

“The following error occurred: Unable to create custom action from ‘QWP_CBT.QWP_CBT_Create_Trainee, Quest.WebParts.CBT, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b7819bd0a6c58c37’: Error creating class object for ‘QWP_CBT.QWP_CBT_Create_Trainee, Quest.WebParts.CBT, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,PublicKeyToken=b7819bd0a6c58c37’

I’ve searched the communities here and can’t see anyone with the same issue, so no doubt I’m an idiot, but I’d appreciate it being pointed out exactly where I’m being an idiot!

Thanks,

Ron

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Thanks ,

I found the solution to my problem just as you were writing, it seems, but thanks anyway.

However, I wanted to let you know the documentation for the CBT is confusing —

1. I believe I'm correct that the Web Parts should be installed before the CBT — if for no other reason because that's where Quest Configuration Editor is installed.

2. setupCBT.bat is actually deployCBT.bat — the documentation needs changing

3. deployCBT.bat should be run in a command session with administrator privileges — not just run from Windows Explorer (so the various outputs from stsadm don't disappear off the screen, if for no other reason)

We're getting there!

Thanks again for jumping in, and thanks for your offer to address any future issues.  I'm sure I'll take you up on that …

Regards,

Ron

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.