- This topic is empty.
- 04/15/2009 at 3:14 am #7278
Hi Dennis, let’s work this out.
Sounds like maybe you didn’t add an existing discussion board. We use this as “the holder” of the content for our webpart.
So in this case I add a native discussion board first
Then I refer to it in the discussion view webpart that I place in my panel thru the configurator
Let me know if this is what you were looking for.
- 04/15/2009 at 3:38 am #7279
I'm the Dev Manager for Quest Web Parts for SharePoint. Can you give me more information as what you meant by "none is available to choose from"? Did this happen when you try to configure the Viewed Lists property and you didn't see any discussion board list in the site?
- 04/15/2009 at 12:00 pm #4886
When I try to configure the webpart with a discussion board list, non is available to choose from.
I'm testing the x64 version running on a MOSS 2007 stand alone setup.
- 04/20/2009 at 6:16 am #7282
np, in the next release of WebParts we have renamed configure ezEdit so its a bit more clear!!
- 04/20/2009 at 6:28 am #7280
Ah, my mistake.
I tried using 'Modify webpart' out of old habbit instead of choosing 'Configure'.
- 04/20/2009 at 6:37 am #7283
Yes there is. When configuring the discussion view, click the View Appearance tab. Change the "Expand to Level" property to a big number like 100. If you do that, all the thread will be expanded when the view is loaded for the first time (unless you have more than 100 levels of discussion).
We don't have flat view in the discussion view webpart and we are not planning to have it.
- 04/20/2009 at 7:22 am #7281
By the way, is there any way to get the web part to start with all threads expanded, or configure it for flat view?
- 04/21/2009 at 7:54 am #7284
Great (about expanding threads).
How about telling what messages I've already read?
- 04/22/2009 at 1:13 am #7285
We don't have that feature. We cannot mark messages as read or unread.
04/22/2009 at 1:13 am #3808
As part of our WebParts 4.5 project, we will be shipping a new WebPart, the DiscussionView Webpart. This WebPart enhances and expands the existing discussions to allow for much-improved visibility into discussions and actually fosters discussions by improving the ease that which discussions can be started, tracked, and replied to. Take a look at this video demo from Curtis Kelly, one of our SharePoint Solution Architects here at Quest. This gives a great overview of the advanced features of the beta WebPart. There are two Beta downloads available, the x86 version and the 64-bit version. Any feedback on this beta please post it here on the forum! Features include
- It can be configured easily using the Web Parts Configurator. Just select Web Part Menu > Configure to launch the Web Parts Configurator. The only property that you have to configure to get started is the Viewed Lists property.
- You can view multiple discussion lists at once by specifying them in the Viewed Lists property. The lists that you view can reside in another site, another site collection or even another web application as long as they are in the same configuration database.
- It displays the discussions and their responses in a tree structure, making it much easier to find the relevant topic
- A preview panel to view the content of the selected discussion or response quickly.
- The ability to select which field to be displayed in the tree view panel by using the Display Fields property. If not defined, only the Subject field will be displayed.
- The ability to filter the top level discussions by using CAML Filter expression.
- Allows you to customize the look and feel by using Skins.
- The capability to define the initial static sort expression using the Sort Fields property. The Discussion View can sort the data based on multiple fields. This makes the initial default view for end users potentially more informative.
- The ability to turn off the individual buttons in the toolbar, providing maximum flexibility.
- A context menu to access the most common functions for data items, such as Reply, Alert Me, Delete Item, etc. If enabled, you can access the context menu by right-clicking the entry in the discussion view. The Web Part author can turn off the context menu by setting the Enable Context Menu property to False.
- The ability to group the discussions by a specific field. For example, if your discussion list contains a Category field, you can group the discussions based on that field. This greatly enhances usability.
- In conjunction with the Quest List Form (which is part of the Quest Web Parts for SharePoint product), you may use complex category. Complex category is a feature that enables you to use multiple categories (Category A, Category B) ,multi-level categories (Category 1\Category 1.1) or the combination of both.
Douglas A. Davis
Product Director – SharePoint Product Group
- 04/28/2009 at 9:57 am #5182
- 04/29/2009 at 3:50 am #6924
Can you copy and paste your configuration? It's hard to tell without any configuration information what the problem is.
- 04/30/2009 at 6:03 am #6925
Hi Doug I have managed to resolve the issue it was my silly mistake but thank you for the reply. I have got another issue…when I do right click on the discussion and say view properties it does not open, it comes back to the quest webpart view as normal but I can preview the discussion body in preview pane. any idea why is this happening or is it me who is doing somethig wrong as the users dont wana see body for discussion in preview pane. Can I have different views like category grouped view, author grouped view as we have in lotus notes for a discussion database? Can you also tell me when will the full production version of this web part be out to use as this is the beta version, I believe this is a great web part which can resolve so many issues with views on sharepoint when notes database are converted. I have attached the config as requested: Viewed Lists <Lists> <List SiteUrl="." ListName="Full CRJDatabase" /> </Lists>
Display Fields <Fields> <Field Name="Categories" GroupExpanded="false" Grouped="true" GroupSortDirection="asc" /> <Field Name="Subject" /> <Field Name="Discussion Subject" /> <Field Name="Replies" /> <Field Name="From" GroupExpanded="false" /> </Fields>
- 04/30/2009 at 11:35 am #6927
I will let Eddy dig into some of the technical issues, but this will be released June 8th so it will be production ready then. Also, great news (and we will make a bigger annoucement about this so its not hidden down here in the forum) this webpart will be free for use, no license required!
- 05/01/2009 at 3:19 am #6930
When you select View Properties in the context menu, it should open the display form of the selected discussion. Is the View Properties context menu the only one that does not work? Or the others not working either?
You can group any field you want. You can also group multiple fields. We even support complex category like in Lotus Notes:
1. Multiple categories. e.g.: Category1, Category2, Category3
2. Nested categories. e.g.: Level1\Level2\Level3
3. Mixed between multiple categories and nested categories. e.g.: Category1, Level1\Level2
However, the complex category is only supported if you have the qListForm. The Microsoft List Form won't be able to handle complex category because we create our own control to handle the complex category.
If I don't answer all of your questions, please feel free to ask more.
- 05/01/2009 at 6:43 am #7275
Thank you for the reply great to know we will have this out in June it is a reliefe.
When I select any of the of the context property it does not work just brings me back to the web part view with out opening the context so it is not just the view property.
Another thing I have noticed while using this web part is that when I open a ECM link it opens it in the sharepoint view rather than the quest web part view, do I need to configure it so that the links open in web part view if so how?
And when I try to reply to any of the discussions I only get the body to reply in no subject field to type a title as it used to be in notes…… is this functionality not there.
If I am working on a discussion select edit and then close the edit view, the navigation takes me back to the collapsed view of the discussions and not to the actual discussion (expanded view) , I have to open the discussion I was working on from scratch. Can we have navigation which takes me in to the discussion I was working on ratther than opening the discussion from scratch?
I can send print screens with info on it if the questions above arent very clear but I am not able to see any place I can attach a document?
I am asking alot of questions hope not giving a headache lol just testing the beta version to best of its abilities.
- 05/04/2009 at 9:55 am #7276
1st off thanks for putting this thru its paces, really appreciated!
I will need to forward this on to the dev team to respond fully, I don't think we need the screen shots and we will respond here ASAP!
- 06/01/2009 at 7:20 am #7277
Any progress on the issues I stated?
- 06/19/2009 at 2:18 am #5175
Will this run on WSSv3?
- 07/06/2009 at 9:36 am #6894
Yes it will run on WSS v3.
- 07/29/2009 at 2:46 am #5169
I am having an error when trying to go to the configuration menu via the ezEdit option for the web part. The following post is the same error as I am experiencing:
http://sharepointforall.com/forums/t/253.aspxNote I am using WSS 3.0 SP1 32bit. Thanks.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.