How to create an Edit Form?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Alex,

Before going into details please take a look QWP docs (qListForm and qListView sections).

If you're on QWP 5.7 for SP2010 then when you add them on a page you'll see links to videos about these web parts.

If you're on older versions there is collection of exercises (CBT) that show the capabilities you're interested in.

If you still nedd help please let me know.

PS

The missing ID message shows up because the ID of the item you want to edit is missing.

This is how the URL should look like for a successful edit:

http://…/myEdit.aspx?ID=1

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

I have the link of the webpart page where I have the editlistitem qlistform.  (http://…./edititemstatusform.aspx)

I then add the ?ID=1 to the end of that URL and get directed to an error page saying no item exists.  It may have been modified or deleted by the user.

I then checked my list to see what the different ID numbers were (there is an ID field I was not even looking at) and the IDs were like 35, 39 etc… so I tried doing ?ID=35 but still was directed to the error page.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Alex,

Please note that in some env. the "ID=xxx" doesn't work and you need to rename the ID of the list to LID or other name.

This is all well described in our documentation. Spending some time going through the topics I suggested above will help.

What's your QWP and SP version?

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Version 5.4 SharePoint 2007

I've watched the CBT videos as well.  So I tried changing  from ID=xxx to one of the fields I am actually using which is Project ID.  If I set project ID=35 the editlist item displays the entry.  Would the end user have to do this evertime – change the URL and know the exact Project ID number to enter?  I definitly do not want that.

On the newlistitem qlistform which I already made – it had several autofill from cross list fields already set up.  I don't understand how this works with editlist item since the edit list item is just being displayed.  What I want is for whatever the user selected to be displayed but still allow them to choose a different item from a drop down list which will autofill other categories (just as it is set up on my new list item qlistform).

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

You don't need to modify manually the ID. Use a qListView to display the data and you can use the Edit Properties from the context menu (use right click to invoke the menu). Also you can modify SharePoint pages for Edit, New and Display actions and replace OOB wp with qListForm.

Also you can use the LinkTo property and Edit items in your custom page using qListForm.qListForm has several functionality (Edit, Display…), check ezEdit ->Display tab->Form Type property.

Please refer to our documentationfor more details.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Ok here is what happens:

1. I created a list in SharePoint OOB

2. I then created a qlistview webpart which is just displaying the list from SharePoint

3. I created a form using qlistform webpart which inputs the information into my list.  The form also referes to other static lists (but just to autofill some information for example the user selects the Project ID and the description auto-populates.

4.I went back to my qlistview webpart (ezedit – viewed lists – edit and then I copied the URL from my qlistform into the "New Form URL" option.  This works successfully so that when I click the context menu on qlistview and select "new," I am redirected to qlistform I just created and can enter information

5. Right now – If I click context menu – edit properties I am directed to an out of the box form to edit the information.  What I want is to be directed to the quest form

6. So, I copied my qlistform that I already created and placed it on a different page.  I changed form type from new to edit.  Once I click ok I get the HTTP parameter ID error.  As dicussed I go to the URL: http:/…./myedit and add ?ID=1 which does not work

7. I then use a different field "Project ID" so I do /myedit?Project ID=1 and I still get an error

8.  I change the url to /myedit?Project ID=35 and now the correct entry is displayed (I guess once I delete entries from my list – it does not start over  with "1" but keeps a numerical count

9. So I have the editfield form displayed with ?ProjectID=35 from my URL.  I have no idea what to do from here – the computer based training just stops.

10.  I copy the link from the qlistform (the one for editing) into qlistview (the same way I did it for the displaying new items except I paste it in the "Edit Form URL" option)  The link does not include the ProjectID=35 part…just the link of where the qlistform is located. 

11.  Now on my qlistview webpart when I click edit properties I am redirected to a page but get an error saying:

No item exists at http://…/myedit.aspx?Source=http://…PageView=Shared&ID=35.  It may have been deleted or renamed by another user.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Alex,

Please see my inline comments. From 1 to 5 everything is ok.

6. So, I copied my qlistform that I already created and placed it on a different page. I changed form type from new to edit. Once I click ok I get the HTTP parameter ID error. As dicussed I go to the URL: http:/…./myedit and add ?ID=1 which does not work

After you first create your edit page you get that error because the ID (remember that the ID field name in some cases has to be changed) is missing from the url. Once you got to the qListView and Edit an item the ID will be passed on t the qListForm that is in Edit mode.

7. I then use a different field "Project ID" so I do /myedit?Project ID=1 and I still get an error

Please use the unique list items identifier (default is ID but it can be changed).

8. I change the url to /myedit?Project ID=35 and now the correct entry is displayed (I guess once I delete entries from my list – it does not start over with "1" but keeps a numerical count

ID is unique and if you delete one ID that ID won't be used anymore. Above, I gave you the example ID=1 but it can be any existing ID.

9. So I have the editfield form displayed with ?ProjectID=35 from my URL. I have no idea what to do from here – the computer based training just stops.

Use the Edit option from teh context menu to edit an item or use LinkTo feature (check our docs for more details).

10. I copy the link from the qlistform (the one for editing) into qlistview (the same way I did it for the displaying new items except I paste it in the "Edit Form URL" option) The link does not include the ProjectID=35 part…just the link of where the qlistform is located.

You need to add to that link …myEdit.aspx?ProjectID=<%ProjectID%>. e idea works for LinkTo.

11. Now on my qlistview webpart when I click edit properties I am redirected to a page but get an error saying:

You get the error because is using the ID not the ProjectID.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

I know that seems like a basic question, but I am trying to figure out to sucessfully create the edit form qlistform webpart.  I bascially need to give the end users the ability to click on a list item (right click context – edit properities) and have that direct them to an edit qlistform instead of the sharepoint out of the box form. 

I can’t even figure out how to make the edit form from qlist form because I keep getting the error message:

: The ID HTTP parameter is required (the ID of the list item to be edited)

I tried doing a search on the forums and saw posts about using qselector to pass to qform.  I don’t need to do any of that.  I just want to mimic what sharepoint does out of the box which is – you click on list and if you click edit it allows you to edit the list row through the form. 

I just want to do that with quest – so the end user clicks edit on the qlist which takes them to the qlistform with the entry – the user can edit the entry and save.

Thanks for your help,

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Ok -this seemed to do it.  Also – I forgot to change the HTTP parameter from my list.  I changed it from the form but not the list which is why it was still trying to pass ID instead of project ID.  Thank you for your help!

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.