List Form Check In on Document Libraries

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Kevin,

You may need to write a bit of C# code to accomplish your scenario.

We provide a sample project (check the Quet Web Parts installation folder and see the pleCode) that shows how to create your custom action and check the documentation about how to integrate it with QWP.

In your case you write the code to check in the document, build the assembly, place your assembly into the private bin (this is only temporary in order to have the custom action drop down control in ezEdit to be populated with your custom action code, after that you can move the assembly to the GAC), then create a custom action (see the docs). For this custom action the first operation would be your custom code that checks in the doc then the very next operation would be Save (this is out of the box functionality).

Please search this forum for "custom action" and you'll find more details about custom actions.

Any other questions please let me know.

Thanks,

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Please excuse my ignorance, but I am a bit of a noob with these web parts and only have browser based access to them. I don't have access to the installation folder and I am not following a lot of what you have written above. I am familiar with the custom actions feature, but have not worked with it at all. Could you please clarify?

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hello I have been using your Quest Web Parts for SharePoint products for some time now. I am having some trouble figuring out how to use one of them in a SharePoint 2007 environment. I have searched through your web site and cannot find any information in the discussions or FAQs. Search is not pulling back the results I want.

I am using the Quest List Form web part on a document library which contains required fields and I cannot figure out how to change the settings so that the document is checked in when the user clicks on Save & Close on new document upload. Issue is that if you use a Quest List Form on a Library with required fields, in place of the Edit form, the item remains checked out when you upload a new document. (SP uses same form for Edit/New) User must then select check in from the drop down menu on the item or it will remain checked out. I would like to retain the same functionality that SP OOB has when uploading a new document allowing users to Save and Check in in one operation.

I am certain it is something that I just cannot see or find in the help manuals. Please help.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Kevin,

Please check our documentation (Custom Action Help section) for a complete description about how to use it, how to create your custom code, etc. Also the sample project comes with usefull comments. Once you start working on the code if you have any issues I can help.

If you don't have access to the installation folder you can download Quest Web Parts and install in on your local machine so you get the Sample Code project.

Also please remember that after you have your code you need to deploy it on the server (private bin of the web application then GAC).

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Okay I have figured this out through some trial and error.

For those interested in a solution that does not involve having to write and install Custom Actions into the GAC. This simplest way to handle this situation is to utilize the Quest List view web part for displaying data in the list and then using the Quest List form web part (Upload option) By default SharePoint uses the Upload form located in the _layouts folder on the server this is why you need to do what states above. There is no way to force it to use the Upload form in the Forms folder of that library.

First let me note that I was unaware that the Upload form option of the Quest List Form web part was a 2 part form. The first part of the form is similar to the standard SharePoint Upload page. The second part is the custom form that you would configure. This second part gives personnel the option to Check In the document. Which is what I was looking for. This is separate from the Edit form that the document library uses. So, just like any other list you will need to configure 3 forms (Display, Edit, Upload) for custom forms.

Next if you wish to use this new upload form as the entry form for new documents you MUST use the Quest List View web part as the primary data viewer for that library. This web part by default selects the Upload form, or whatever form you have designated in SP Designer, in the Forms folder of the library you are working with.

For those of you who wish to retain the functionality of the default SharePoint list, but enable the options (custom upload form) of the Quest List view toolbar, you can edit the default SP list view to remove the toolbar and add in a Quest List view web part that displays no data and just gives you the toolbar. This is also helpful to simplify things for users, if you have multiple web parts displaying different filtered data of the same library, by giving them only ONE toolbar but multiple web part displays underneath.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.