Lookup field issues

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Jeff,

The easiest solution is to add an item <None> or <Please Select> to the list in the first position so it will be displayed as first item in the drop down controls.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Yep, that is the easiest workaround. But for cascading lookups like this, what that workaround means is:

1. that you have to have multiple <None> entries in your child source list, so that every subset will include that as an option.

2. It really gets ugly if you want to use that child field as a qListView filter field

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Jim,

The other option would be to leave the fields optional and using custom actions to validate the fields you want and warn the users when they leave the field empty.

PS

If you consider that my answer is helpful please mark it so.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

I agree – I try to mark Helpful whenever appropriate. Your PS may have been a general one; in this particular case, I would prefer to let the original submitter mark the answer as such.

Regarding your other alternative – I would assume that 5.4x's new support for "Valid when" could be used to address Jeff's post? We are still running 5.2 so I cannot say for sure myself.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

I should clarify given the other running thread under my name

We are running 5.2 in our main environment; our 5.4x testing is happening in a standalone sandbox environment.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi

I have a set of lookup fields configured into a hierarchical lookup on a qlistform where the value from one lookup determines the values in the next lookup.  My question is…  I originally had the fields as optional in the main list and the value of <None> was displayed in the individual lookups that were waiting for the user to select from.  I have subsequently changed them to mandatory and the lookups now display the first value returned in the list lookup.  Is there any way to have the <none> or a blank display and then validate that the field has a value when saved?  The users were complaining that it is confusing having a value “randomly” display.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Jim,

Yes you can. Use the InvalidWhen feature and set the condition to IS NULL for all fields you want them mandatory. e for ValidWhen set the condition to IS NOT NULL.

Also, change the InvalidWhen message to fit best your needs.

PS

I like custom actions because you have more power to do things

About marking them Answered/Helpful thanks, do it where appropriate.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Jeff,

If you consider my previous answer as helpful please mark the question as Answered.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.