New to Quest Tools (qListForm and qListView questions)

New to Quest Tools (qListForm and qListView questions)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Shane,

1st question/issue

You're doing it right replacing the Out Of the Box (OOB) SharePoint web part with QA's (QWP) web parts.

When it comes to the point where you need to hide the OOB New Form this is how I do it:

– put the page in Edit mode

– drop qListForm on the page

– go to the OOB New Form wp and hit "Edit Web Part" option from the web part drop down menu (verb) then go to the Laypout section and check the Hidden option, then hit Ok

Please note that you have already configured the qListForm and you have required fields on the form then this operation fails, you need to fill in the required fields and then set the OOB wp to Hidden.

2nd issue

You need to use the session so you pass the parent item ID to the child when you create a child item.

First I'd suggest you to get familiar with the session feature usage (see the docs) then follow these steps:

– I have 2 lists, Languages (LanguageID) and Countries (Country, Language). The relation Parent-Child is done through the field Language.

The scenario is the following, I want to display the list of languages and all the countries where these languages are spoken, so my parent list is Languages and y child list is Countries.

When you configure the qListView set the session for the list Languages and give it the name LanguageSession.

On the New Form page of the list Countries, replace the OOB wp with qListForm and set up the wp to create a New Item.

Add all the fields including the field Language (of the list Countries) and hit the Edit button next to the field.

Then scroll all the way down and set the Field Type to "Consume value from a session"

Use the button New Session, add the name LanguageSession, the site url and the list name (Languages)

Then set the property "Consume Session Display Field Name" to LanguageID.

Save the wp properties and try it.

If you still have difficulties with this please let me know.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi ,

1st Issue

I found that if I give fields a default value, the problem goes away.  However, if I simply do as you say and enter it into the default web app before saving the page, it still won't save.  I can see where I may run into future issues with this since you can't have a default value for a user/group field. 

2nd Issue

I was able to get it to work with your example, but a key hurdle was that I had the field set as a lookup field.  I deleted that and recreated with a normal text field and it started to work. 

Thanks

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Shane,

Issue# 1

Have you tried this is a different environment?  I'm asking that because this a a very common procedure for most of our customers and it works.

Another approach would be to create your own pages for New/Edit/View and user qListView's capabilities to perform all these actions.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Okay, we just got the webtools.  I’ve been looking at videos and posts and I think I’m missing some key things.

qListForm

We want to change the default forms for New/Edit/View. 

For example I want to create a new form for the “New” function.  I go to the list and go to the Form Web Parts -> Default New Form.

I add the qListForm and set it up as a NewListItem. 

I can get it to work for the most part however, either A.  I have to leave the origional web part (the default form webpart).  If I remove/delete it from the page, the whole .aspx form seems to disassociate with the list and no longer works.

I can hide the origional form/webpart like I saw one posting say to do, however then the save feature no longer works.  I think this is because required fields are blank on the hidden form and the save fails.

qListView

Another thing I’m trying to do is, I have a qListView setup with a child list, and the child list has the “New Item” button available.  What I would like it to do is default the value of the linked field associated to the parent child that the user clicks ‘new item’ for.

For example

Master List 1

Comment 1

Comment 2

New Item <—- Creates a new child ‘comment’ with the ID for Master List 1

Master List 2

Currently it just comes up with the default form.  I’m wondering if their is a way to pass that value to the new form.

Thanks

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi ,

It must be something just with the list I was using…. I created a new list (custom list template no changes) and after adding qListForm, defaulting and hiding the normal App on NewForm.aspx and it is working.

Thanks

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.