Passing Session values from a qSiListView to a qListForm

Passing Session values from a qSiListView to a qListForm

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Using qListForm's DisplayFields "Consume a value from Session" type, you should be able to handle a Session set by a SI Web Part, e.g, qSIListView, though this was not by design.

By design, when a qListForm Display Field is set to "Consume a value from Session", it expects the value coming from another Web Part that is on the site and connect to a specific List, thus the requirement for specifying Site Url and List Name property along with the Session name.

<DisplayFields>

<Sessions>

<Session Name="SISession" ListName="Tasks" SiteUrl="." />

</Sessions>

<Fields ContentType="Task">

<Field Name="Title" ContainerID="Frist" />

<Field Name="CompanyName" ConsumeSessionDisplayFieldName="CompanyName" ConsumeSessionName="SISession" />

</Fields>

</DisplayFields>

To work around with Session set by a SI Web Part, where you do not have List Name as it connects to external data source, I have found that you can get around with the following steps:

1. Add a "Single Line of Text" or other type of field to the underlying List that qListForm is using. This will be the receiving field that holds the value consumed from the Session set by another SI Web Part. I will make the field name identical with the source name, for example, I am getting "CompanyName" from my Web services call in another qSIListView Web Part.

2. Define DisplayFields in qListForm and include the new field, set it to "Consume a value from Session" and give the Session Name that will match the Session Name you set in the source web part. In this case, I will set it the same value as the "Set Session Name" property of my qSIListView's Catalog property.

3. Then specify a valid Site Url and List Name just to make sure it points to a valid List. This is tricky as it really does not need but we have to work around with the limitation on the original design.

4. Make sure you source page is configured with the right Session name and you should get this work.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi , thanks for the update. I will test this and give you some feedback. Thanks again.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi , this works perfectly. Thank you.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi , Just returning to this scenario of passing session values from the qSIListView to the qListForm. We have this configuration [see above] working fine when the qListForm is pointed at a List [Custom Lists, Tasks Lists etc] but it doesn't seem to work on Document Libraries. Can you check and confirm this is the case for you? Is there another work around for passing sessions to Doc Libraries?

Thanks and Regards

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

When it does not work, which part does it not work? Failed to pass the session value into the qListForm? qListForm failed to save the value that is passed as session object?

This appears to work in our lab for list and doc lib.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

We can pass ‘session’ values from an qSIListView to a List [Custom List, Task list etc see attached screen shots.] as you have explained earlier in this thread. When we try to use the same technique in a document Library [creating a new column in the Lib with the name identical to the column in the session] it fails to show the data in an appropriately configured ‘Consume Value from a Session’.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi all,

n

I am trying this unsuccessfully and I think it is about the architecture.  I think I am missing something – how is the session "consumed"  I am stuck – I have the Qsilistview working – and I want to select a row from the results and prefill a qlistform (new item).  At present, I have both web parts on the same page.  Is this the correct architecture – I think I a missing something.

n

Thanks in advance,

n

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hello, can anybody help with this question?

Is there anyway to pass session values from a ‘qSiListView’ to a ‘qListForm’. For the ‘qListForm’ to receive a session value it is looking for a ‘SessionName’ ‘ListName’ and ‘url’.

Are there any options so that the ‘qListForm’ can handle SI based sessions?

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi ,

n

I would like to descript the consume session value feature in qListFrom. As you know, if the Field Type set to ‘Consume value from a session’, you must define the ‘Site URL’, ‘List Name’ and the ‘Cusome Session Display Field Name’ at the same time. About the  ‘Consume Session Display Field Name’ setting, as description in ezEdit: “You can consume value from a specific field by specifying the field name in the Display Field Name.” this field come from the ‘List Name’ setting, in addition, you set the display name here, qListFrom will convert it to internal name before getting the value.

n

So that may explain why it doesn’t work for you in document library. For example, if you modify the ‘Title’ field to ‘FirstName’ in your document library, then you set the ‘Consume Session Display Field Name’ to ‘FirstName’, and in your qSIListView, you also have a column which named to ‘FirstName’. That cannot work in this case. Because qListFrom will use ‘Title’(not the ‘FirstName’) as a key to search the session, and qSIListView doesn’t provide it.

n

If that is the case, for workaround, you can create a custom list, and create a new filed which column name is the same as qSIListView(to make sure the display name is the same as internal name), then set this list under the ‘Consume value from a session’ setting in qListForm. That may sound a little strange, but as ’s said, qListForm was not designed to consume session from external data.

n

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.