Potential use of QuickApps

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Richard,

Can you provide more details about his concern?

– backend client database. Is he talking about SharePoint database and SharePoint objects (lists, doc libraries, etc) or other type of database systems (SQL, Oracle, MySql)

– dynamic solution.  Dynamic in terms of having a dynamic number of fields or pushing/pulling data dynamically to/from different systems?

– our web parts's configuration can be accessed using PowerShell script

Any other detail he could provide to us would be helpful.

Thanks,

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Thanks !

It is a bit hard to explain but what they need is to have the ability to use the Forms app with their backend database.

What they would like to do is have an easy way to pull and put data from the forms app into the backend database which is a very complex schema with many linked tables.  Didn't really see anything in the documentation that shows how the data connection works.  They have many SP sites and have a need for each customer (user) to use custom forms to pull, put and update data into the backend SQL DB.  At the same time they would like a solution that their staff could use to build forms for each customer without having to engage engineering for custom code or data connections.

I am not sure if that helps or not.  If not, I can ask the person to respond and update the thread directly…or talk to sales for a RFI assessment.

Thank you,

Rich

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

See my answers inline.

Please ask the customer to post directly here any other questions/concerns and we'll do our best to answer them.

Also please remember him that there are video tutorials available for him to get more familiar with our product.

What they would like to do is have an easy way to pull and put data from the forms app into the backend database which is a very complex schema with many linked tables.

QA pull and push data from and to teh db using the SI suite web parts. As long as these operations are defined  and built (stored procedures, web services)

Didn't really see anything in the documentation that shows how the data connection works.

You can connect to multiple systems in the same time and make them available. See the Configuration Editor User Guide section Connecting to External Systems.

They have many SP sites and have a need for each customer (user) to use custom forms to pull, put and update data into the backend SQL DB. 

You can expose multiple systems to users and you only need to define it once per each web application. More details can be found in our docs (user guide).

At the same time they would like a solution that their staff could use to build forms for each customer without having to engage engineering for custom code or data connections.

There is no need for custom code in QA. As long as you define your operations (stored procedures) the users can build the forms based on that. Regarding the data connection see above, the data connection is defined once and exposed to all users/sites.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Thanks ,

Yes, I have the webparts installed and available.  Itis the data connection piece I am struggling with. I am not sure how to configure the SI piece and the documentation doesn't help much.

When i go to add the webpart I get an error.

The following error occurred: The QuestSoftware/SystemIntegration section in the web.config is not defined.

Thanks

-CR

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Open the web application (or the web.config file) then on the toolbar hit the button that you see below marked in yellow.

That would bring up a dialog go to the tab System Integration and type the SI configuration file name and location.

Then you'll see the UI to define the Systems.

Let me know how it goes.

1.png

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Chuck,

You have to set up the Si configuration first before configuring a SI web part.  To do that you need to run the "Configurtion Editor" mentioned above.  (Start>DellSoftware>QuickAppsForSharePoint/Configuration Editor). 

1.  Select the web application

2.  Click on Edit>DellSoftware Section Editor.  This is where you need to create a new SI file that currently dosent exist. 

3.  Go to the System Integration tab where you can specify the name of the SI file shown below

SIConfiguratioEditor.jpg

4.  Once that file is created, you will then see the SI Configuration File tab shown below

SI Tab.jpg

5.  You can then begin setting up the system you want to integrate with below.

SystemSI.jpg

If you are still having trouble please reach out to me directly and I can get you in contact with a pre-sales resource to provide further assitance.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Don,

I would love to speak with someobne.  I am trying to configure this DB connection but am not having any luck.  I could not find your email address in yoru profile.

Thanks

-CR

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hello Community,

I was speaking to a person that had the following concern:

“Using a SharePoint form to pull and push data into our backend client database.  We need a solution that is dynamic.  By that I mean something I can configure either through an API or JSON for our SP sites and customers.  Looking at your solution it seems to be a bit more static”.

They do not have the product as of yet…but want to know if the above is solve-able using QuickApps.

SharePoint 2010 & the latest version of QuickApps.

Thank you

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

No problem.  You can reach me at dan.barker@software.dell.com

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Thanks for the reply.

If your QuickApps for SharePoint forms can pull and put data with Stored Procedures then it should work for us.  I tried to find the documentation  you mentioned above "Connecting to external Systems" but I am unable to.  Could you attach that to this thread or email to me? I woudl like to read it over first and then maybe see a demo.

Thanks for your time.

-CR

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Chuck,

Good to hear.  I'll contact you regarding your documentation request.

Kindly,

Richard

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Thanks Richard.  I also would like to see some documentation or speak with an engineer specifically about using stored procedures with this product.  I can't really find anything.

-CR

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Chuck,

Couple of things, assuming that your license gives you access the SI web parts (if now you can upgrade anytime) you need to take a look at the Configuration Editor User Guide section "Configuring the SI Configuration File".

This section shows you how to define a System (SQL Server, Oracle, etc) and a Service (connection string) and a and then check the Users Guide SIListView.

Basically this wp allows you to use the Service defined above and to use the Methods that this Service exposes (ie SQL Server stored procedures).

Then once you have that you can define the lists of the fields and the web part will render the data for you.

SIListForm allows you to create/update/view/delete data from a system.

For more details check the docs and the online videos available for our product.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Okay, This think is driving me crazy.  I just downloaded the trial and installed.  Do you offer pre-sales support? I need help with the data integration piece.

-CR

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Chuck,

I can reach for some help for you.

Also, I can provide a bit of help here. What do you find difficult? The Configuration Editor setting part?

Do you have the web parts working?

Viewing 14 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.