qCalendar error – Object Reference

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Ross,

You've been redirected to the right place.

Would you mind to share some environment details with me please?

What's the SharePoint version, browser version and the structure of the list you reference in the qCalendar web part.

Thank you,

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Thanks for the reply .

SharePoint version is enterprise, browser is IE8 but this is the same in Firefox and Chrome as well..

The settings we are using are:

<Lists>

<List SiteUrl="./dss" ListName="Desktop Support Services Calendar" IncludeSubsites="false" IncludeThisSite="false" IsRollUpList="false" UseUploadFormInLayoutsFolder="false">

<DependentLists />

</List>

</Lists>

CAML filter:

<Geq>  <FieldRef Name="EventDate" />  <Value Type="DateTime">    <Today />  </Value></Geq>

The list it references is just a normal calendar.

Hope this helps?

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Ross, it's SharePoint 2007 or 2010?

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

It's 2010, sorry should have mentioned that!

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

I created your env. in my lab (calendar lists based on native SP calendar list template and the CAML filter to filter the events based on today's date) and everythong worked fine.

and be sure that thei match with the columsn required by qCalendar web part (Begin Date, end Date, Reccurence amd Title).

Let's make a quick test please. Create a new list based on the clendar template, create a new page, drop qCalendar on that new created page and link it to the new created calendar list. Create a few events then display the data. If everythoing works well add the CAML filter.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

I've just created a web part page in test, and tried to reference the calendar in question and got the same error, however, when I saved the calendar as a template without content, it worked fine. I'm going to see if I can save it with content as a template as a final thought, and then recreate it. If not I would imagine something in the calendar list is causing it to throw up this error.

Thanks

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Please create a new calendar list and use it on the new qCalendar web part page.

If the original calendar list has fields that don't match what qCalendar expects you can change them using ezEdit.

I'm not sure what you mean by

"..however, when I saved the calendar as a template without content, it worked fine. I'm going to see if I can save it with content as a template as a final thought, and then recreate it"

Do you try to save the calendar you created based on SharePoint calendar asa a list template?

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi , apologies for the delay.

I saved the calendar list as a template, and deployed this to a test site of mine. Then I linked it up with Quest webpart calendar, which was fine, and worked. This was without the content of the calendar though.

I next saved the calendar list AND it's content, as a template, deployed this on my test site and linked it to the Quest calendar webpart and this was getting the same error.

Obviously there is something in the calendar content that is not supported by the quest webpart, but there are hundreds of entries, how would I go about finding out what exactly this is?

Thanks

R

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Ross,

Maybe you have some nulls or some other strange characters there (squares)?

Try to filter the list using (qListView), then some groupping by the values that intervine in qCalendar.

Let me know how that goes please.

Thanks,

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

I did that, but it revealed nothing out of the ordinary.

Though, I noticed this calendar list had 2 content types. An Event, which is obviously the standard. Also, Time Off Entry, which was set to the default content type. If I switched the default content type to event,  the calendar could be viewed fine.

So, it looks like this custom content type isn't supported by the webpart, but is there any way that I could make this work?

Thanks again.

Ross

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Ross,

That's the problem, the custom (non standard) custom type causes the error.

I don't know what your Time Off Entry custom type looks like but in order to display a list in the qCalendar you need to have a text field for the title and a one date field for the begin date.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

That's the custom type…

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Apparently it worked fine before Quest updates were applied, back at the begining of the year.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Ross,

I'll try it. What was the previous version of QWP where the qCalendar worked well?

Thanks,

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Ross,

I created your TimeOffEntry list but for some reasons I can't add it to the content type of the Calendar list.

Would you mind to share the steps to do that?

Tks,

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hey guys, was pointed to come here on twitter. After a bit of a hand with an issue I have with a quest 5.5 for sharepoint calendar web part.

It references a list, which is also being referenced in another web part and works fine, but this one just displays the error “object reference not set to instance of an object”.

Anyone come across this before? Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks

Ross

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Ross,

I created the TimeOffEntry list as a custom list and I went to Site Content Types option in Site Settings but my list doesn't show up un the Parent Content Types drop down list.

Did I miss something from your explanation?

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

I created the content type under the content types library in custom content types group and then in the list settings I added it to the list and made it default by selecting the "Add from existing site content types"  option. The content type when made was made based on an event content type.

Thanks

Viewing 17 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.