QListForm description linking to URL

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Jeff,

You need to use a custom field to do that.

Open ezEdit, got to Displayed Fields, scroll to the bottom , select one of the <Custom> fields, go to Calculated Value and add the following code in there

<a href="http://myServer/MyLocation/HelperDoc.pdf" target="_blank"><%HereGoesOneOfTheFieldsFromTheList%></a>

This would convert the field "HereGoesOneOfTheFieldsFromTheList" into a hyperlink that would open the pdf file in a new window.

Please let me know how it goes.

showed me something similar and I'm using his idea here.If it works all credit goes to him, otherwise my bad.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Did some further investigation.  The <Custom> fields are only available on the qListView page.  Unfortunately they are not available on the qListForm.  Any other suggestions of how to attach to a hyperlink from the description text of of column?

Thanks

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

I remember seeing these fields when working with others, but

when I looked at a few forms I did not see them. Are they just included

or do I need to do something to enable them?

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Jeff,

Out of the box qListView creates 4 custom fields for displaying calculated values.

There is no configuration that controls these fields.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

I see that these are in qListView, but I am looking to do this in a qListForm screen.  In qListForm, the 4 custom fields are not present.  Is there an alternative method for this type of screen?

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Sorry, I was talking about the qListView and your question was about qListForm.

The description field accepts HTML as the doc says.

i.e.

For displayig the text in Bold use <b>My Description Text</b>

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

So back to my original question…  Is there somewhere in the QListForm web part that will accept something like

<A title="helper document" href="http://xxxxxxx/helperdoc.pdf" target=_blank>?  I am looking to just open a helper document associated with one of the fields on the form, but open it in a new window so that data entry can continue and the use can also see the reference document.  I also investigated the use of a custom action, but it does not allow me to open the URL in a new web page.  I know that I can put it into a Content Editor Web part at the top of the page, but I was looking for a more elegant solution.

Thanks for your continued help

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

In the documentation, it says that the ‘Description’ parameter for a display field can either be plain text or an encoded HTML string.  Does this mean that I can somehow use the description field as a link to a document or it simply just the ability to display the description text as bold?  Basically, I want to turn the description into a hyperlink that can open a new page and display a document with detailed information about the field.

I tried adding the following to Description:

<A title=”helper document” href=”http://xxxxxxx/helperdoc.pdf” target=_blank>

I do not get an error,and the description does get converted into XML but no description is displayed on the screen.

I have used this type of code in Content Editor Webpart to display a button that would show a document, but the user wanted to have the link directly under the field.

Thanks

Jeff

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Jeff,

Use the Description field and add the following html code in there

<a href=”Your pdf Link Here”  target="_blank">Your Link Text Here</a>

That would open a new window and display the document you want.

Sorry for taking so long to understand and aswer your question.

Thanks,

PS

If you're happy with the solution please mark it Answered.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.