qListView – calculated field for multiline text sharepoint column

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi ,

As i specified in my opiginal post,  the text which i get in and im trying to truncate – this could be just a piece of HTML, sometihng like <p sdfsdf>fgdfgdfg</p>sdgfsdg<afghfghgf></A>

so lets say my str="<p sdfsdf>fgdfgdfg</p>sdgfsdg<afghfghgf></A>"

in this case alerts in javascript before and after work, but qListView record is empy. Not well formed – meaning that i was trying to break an HTML code in the midle of the <P> or <A> anchor.

if my str="dfgdfgdfgdfgdf dfgdfgdfg"  without any <A> or <P> – then record in qListView is populated with the value which DisplayChars returns.with the first scenario ( evven though alerts in javascript function return value) – qListVew record dosnt have anything.

(this is an actual example of the str:

<P>The staff of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (the "SEC") has announced its new National Exam Program ("NEP") initiative to conduct "Presence Exams" of newly-registered investment advisers. In a letter sent today from various regional offices of the SEC to newly-registered advisers, the staff described the new exams as "focused" and "risk-based" and highlighted the following five "higher-risk" areas that may be covered during an exam:</P>  <UL>  <LI>Marketing   <LI>Portfolio Management   <LI>Conflicts of Interest   <LI>Safety of Client Assets   <LI>Valuation</LI></UL>  <P>)

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Julia,

The easiest way to find out the problem is to debug the js function or add some js alerts to see the values that get into your functions and the values that come out.

I suspect that there is a js error on the page and therefore you don't see anything displayed.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi .

I tried alerts within Javascript function.

I modified the function to lok like this:

<script type='text/javascript'>
      function DisplayChars(str, charNumber)
      {
      if (charNumber < 0)
      {
      charNumber = 0;
      }
      var displayedStatus = str;

alert("before:" + str);
      if (typeof(displayedStatus) != 'undefined' && displayedStatus != null && displayedStatus.length > charNumber)
      {
      displayedStatus = str.substr(0, charNumber);

alert("after:" + displayedStatus );
      }

//alert (displayedStatus);
      return displayedStatus;
      }

and i do get alerts for "before" ad "after". but in case the "after" string is not well formated  the value within the qListView for this record is blank. What do you think im missing?

Thanks a lot,

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Julia,

You say "not well formatted", what do you mean?

Do you expect a string in a specific format (phone number)?

PS

Try to debug the js function, it will give you a better idea than the alerts.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi ,

Any updates for me? Thanks.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

I haven't heard anything from you and I want to check with you whether you still need help.

Thanks,

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi ,

I didn't see your original email with Webex offer. Issue still hasn't been resolved. Can we please schedule a webex on Monday ( 1/13)  in the morning?  Please let me know. Any time before 2pm EST work for me.

Thanks a lot,

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Please open a case with Support then we can schedule a meeting.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

– Please schedule as early as possible for Monday morning.  Thx.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Please contact Customer Support, open a support case an then we can schedule a meeting.

Thanks,

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

This is a priority issue for us.  Is there someone we can escalate this to?  Not getting this resolved is delaying the launch of our portal.  We need a response ASAP.

Thanks,

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hello,

What we can do is to have a webex session.

You need to open a case then we can book something for today.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

, thanks a lot for your help today.

You suggested we contact "professional services" to have this issue resolved.  How can i get in touch with profeccional services to ceck their rate? CAn you please assist with this?

Thanks,

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Julia,

Somebody from Dell Professional Services will get in touch with you shortly.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi ,

n

n

I found your a discussion:

n

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/sharepoint-for-all/f/4782/t/19554295   which works perfectly fine for me when text in my multiline next filed is well formatted.

n

if my test starts with <P> or <A href=…>  and i need to take sunstring of this text, which turns it into non well formatted text – then in my qlistview it displays empty string..

n

I tested javascript function itself on those records – javascript accepts and return value ( non well formatted), but notihng gets displayed in qLIstView column ( which has a custom column with calculated value as rescribed in the

n

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/sharepoint-for-all/f/4782/t/19554295.

n

Any ideas if i can still make DisplayChars  function work for me with my scenario?

n

n

Thanks a lot,

n

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi ,

I was able to figure out the issue, so i wont need Dell Professional Services assitance.

I manipulate the data at the sql level, before i sync in to the Sharepoint list, stripping carriadge returns, etc at the sql level.

Thanks a lot,

Viewing 15 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.