qListView constraints with SP 2010

qListView constraints with SP 2010

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Topic http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/sharepoint-for-all/f/4782/t/19556579 raises the following question and is ably answered by .

n

n

Question:

n

I have a qlv which is connected to a list that had 4 lookup columns.  When I added a fifth to the list, I got the message below.  I had not added this new field to the qlv, simply navigated to the page after adding the field.

n

“The following error occurs: The query cannot be completed because the number of lookup columns it contains exceeds the lookup column threshold enforced by the administrator.”

n

n

Answer:

n

Please check your lookup threshold value in Central Administration->Manage Web Application, select your web application and go to General Settings-> Resource

n

Throttling (in the ribbon). Please remember that a people group and workflow status fields count as lookup fields.

n

You can increase the list view lookup field threshold number and monitor your SharePoint environment for any anomalies (CPU utilization, slow response, etc).

n

Also please note that even you don’t include the lookup fields in the Display Fields of the qListView they’re still included in the qListView.

n

n

n

n

My question is as follows:

n

Out of the box Sharepoint views are not constrained the way qListViews are. Instead, OOTB views only complain if the view (not the list) references too many lookup columns.

n

n

Are there any plans to modify the way qListViews are implemented so that the lookup limit is less of an issue, similar to OOTB views? If not, many of our applications will require complete redesigns to move from 2007 to 2010 unless we drop our use of qListViews; the Throttling limit would have to be increased beyond what is feasible from a performance standpoint.

n

n

For example, maybe provide a way to create a qListView based on an existing OOTB view?

n

Thanks!

n

Jim

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Jim,

There is no need to move away from qListView. If you're on 5.7 (latest hotfix) or 6.0 for SP 2010 you can notice that we introduced

a new property of the qListView web part to control the # of lookup fields at the web part level.

LookupTreshold.png

This is how we document this property:

Lookup Threshold Controls how Web Parts behave in relation to the List View Lookup Threshold in SharePoint Resource Throttling. When this attribute is set to:
      • • Default — the system level control set at Web application level determines whether all fields or only fields that do not participate in the List View Lookup Threshold are queried.

• • On — only fields defined in Lists that are non-hidden and do not participate in the List View Lookup Threshold are queried.

• • Off — the system level setting is overridden and all fields that support advanced features (such as LinkTo and Session that require additional fields not explicitly defined) are queried. 

• • Explicit — only the fields explicitly defined in the Web Parts properties (such as DisplayFields) are queried.

Please go ahead and try it and let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.