Unable to migrate Have question on quest web parts feature.

Unable to migrate Have question on quest web parts feature.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Kevin,

When you say "we need a way to point all the contents of a web page to another site" you mean Quest Web Parts to point to a different location?

If that's the case then you can configure QWP to work with lists on different site collection using the ezEdit.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

I am trying to figure out how much work would have to be done to "Mirror" a site to a different location without having to actually move the information. From looking at the video it was talking about

qSI list View

qSI list Form

qSI list Chart View

QSI Selector

From what I gathered from this video this would be what you would use for the what I am trying to do.

First question: Is this what I would use ???

Second question: I am assuming I would create another site in Sharepoint then use these quest web parts to point to the information. Would you have to set up each and every list and column individually or is there an easier way to display the information with a web part without having to do that. What I mean is more of a broader or easier setup like adding the quest web part then just adding the URL in the web part to display the information.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Kevin,

You can use Deployment Manager for SharePoint (http://www.quest.com/deployment-manager-for-sharepoint/) to duplicate your site (web parts and configuration,lists, pages, etc).

Since you use the SI web parts the migration is a bit easier. The systems and the catalogs are the same and the same data will be accessed and you just need to think about situations where you have custom actions (like GoToURL) to redirect users or menus in case that you used absolute and not relative path.

If you still have questions or you need more help from Deployment Manager experts let me know and I can redirect your questions to them.

Also, we offer professional services that would help you with the migrations, configuration, etc.

Please let me know what do you think.

Thanks,

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi ,

I probably should have told you this before. but we are working on sharepoint 2007.

The version of Quest we are on is 5.6

I saw that the path that you sent me for the documentation was C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS\QuestSoftware\WAResources\Invarient\Help

Would it be the same path but just substitute 12 for 14 in that path?

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Sorry but there is no pdf available for SP2007.

SP2007 is supported by the Deployment Manager. See below.

Solutions Manager supports the following SharePoint versions:

Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010

Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010

Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007

Windows SharePoint Services 3.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Ok

The Airforce is in the process of building a 2010 environment. We have stopped all of our migrations until then. We had purchased quest web parts awhile back as an add on for the features. We would have to purchase Deployment Manager and that is not an option right now. We are just trying to find a temporary solution for some migration issues until the 2010 instance of Sharepoint is stood up. This would help out tremendously as an alternative until that is accomplished. If it is possible using those web parts

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi ,

Thanks for the response. I work for the AirForce and I am looking at this as a possible solution to a problem. I found this video on the issue and I think this is what you were referencing but I want to verify.

The URL is http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9Lc-oyfFZ4  Is there any documentation out there that I can download and refer to that goes thru this process. ???

Thanks for the Help

Kevin Buckner

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Kevin,

The Youtube link provided doesn't work for me. If you repost it I'll watch it.

Regarding the documentation, you can access the help file (chm) from the web parts clicking on the ? Help icon on the ribbon or you can find the pdf version under

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS\QuestSoftware\WAResources\Invariant\Help folder.

Also, for each web part when is dropped on the page for the first time there is a collection of videos available.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi ,

Here is the you tube video again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9Lc-oyfFZ4

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

No it works. Thanks for reposting.

Since the video covers quite a bit of QWP what is the part that you're interested in?

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Kevin,

What you can do is export each web part or the full site and use them in the "mirror" environment. Since we're talking about the SI web parts this is easier since the only requirement would be to have the same System configuration on the new site.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Is there a link, PDF or documentation that explains how this is set up? I need  documentation so that I can show Leadership so we can determine if this is a viable solution in our environment. I am having a hard time finding anything on this. All of our Content data bases are in one big Farm with multiple VM front ends. I am curious what you mean when you say same   "System Configuration". I think we do but I don't want to assume that without clarification. 

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi everyone I have a question about Quest web parts.

“Several of our site collections in Sharepoint have approached our site quota limit and need more space. Expanding the site quota or migrating some of the data to another site collection is not an option. So instead, we need a way to point all the contents of a web page to another site collection in such a way that users do not have to worry about updating for some of their lists or document libraries.

I assume Quest Web Parts can do this, but we need some guidance regarding the best way to go about it.”

Thanks,

Kevin

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Participant

Hi Kevin,

Everything is well documented. Open up the help file and check out the section Configuration Editor. You'll see what System means, how you set up your connections to other systems, etc.

Then check out the sections related to the SI web parts (qSIChartView, qSILIstForm, qSIListView, qSISelector).

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.